In today’s world of misinformation it is easy to become misguided as to which foods are the most beneficial. Figuring out which foods promote longevity and optimal body function can be confusing. Let’s start with one of the basics, fruit.
Health Benefits of Eating Fruit
Fruits are full of vitamins, nutrients, and minerals. Fruits provide energy to the body in the form of fructose. Fructose is a simple sugar that, when ingested, converts to about 4 calorie grams of energy. The process in which fruit converts to energy is slower than other food sources like processed sugar or starches.
Fruit also provides the body with essential antioxidants. Antioxidants help the body fight free radicals that damage organs and cause disease. The antioxidants in fruits strengthen the immune system and decrease inflammation in the body. Not only are fruits full of flavor but they are full of vitamins and nutrients like fiber, Vitamin C, and Vitamin A. But what are some of the healthiest fruits?
Which Fruit Is Best for the Brain?
There are many fruits for brain health, but which fruit is best for the brain? The avocado is a fruit that is full of over 20 vitamins and minerals. The avocado is a healthy fat known as monounsaturated fat. These fats fuel the body, decrease inflammation, and lower your risk of heart disease.
One of the best fruits for the brain are blueberries. Blueberries are an incredible fruit that promotes brain health. Researchers have performed many animal studies testing the effects of blueberries. Their research shows that blueberries have the power to minimize the effects of oxidative stress in the brain. Blueberries also lower the risks of developing memory related diseases like Alzheimer’s and dementia. Berries in general are high in antioxidants. These fruits protect the brain from damage and also decrease inflammation throughout the body. Here are some other examples of healthy fruits for brain power:
What Are the Top 5 Brain Foods?
In addition to these fruits many researchers recommend eating foods that are higher in monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats. These brain healing foods help protect the brain and all its functions. Foods like olive oil and walnuts are higher in monounsaturated fats. Salmon, sardines, and trout are excellent sources of Omega-3 fatty acids which help with blood flow and protect brain cells. These are the top 5 foods that support the mind:
- Healthy Fats - Olive oil, avocados, nuts, and seeds are just a few healthy fats that help optimize brain function.
- Cruciferous Vegetables - Broccoli, brussel sprouts, and bok choy are high in glucosinolates which help the body lower oxidative stress. Additional vegetables like kale, cauliflower, cabbage, and turnips are rich in vitamins and minerals that help support the mind.
- Berries - Berries of all varieties are beneficial for the brain. Strawberry benefits include increased brain health alongside the benefits of blueberries. These dark-colored fruits contain high levels of antioxidants.
- Coffee - Coffee is a highly debated topic. The mind responds very quickly to caffeine. Not only does coffee contain oxidants but it helps the brain respond quicker to information. It also makes the body feel alert and more focused.
- Dark Chocolate - Dark Chocolate is made up of antioxidants as well. The cacao in the chocolate contains flavonoids that help the mind become more flexible. This flexibility allows for higher levels of cognition and learning. Studies also show it may improve memory.
Which Fruits Fight Memory Loss?
Which fruit is good for brain memory? As mentioned earlier, blueberries improve memory function. The anthocyanins are what give the blueberry its rich color. These anthocyanins in blueberries produce an anti-inflammatory effect within the mind and throughout the body. Animal studies show that blueberries help cells within the brain to thrive and reproduce, specifically in the hippocampus. The hippocampus is the part of the brain responsible for memory.
Another food that improves memory is an orange. Beyond vitamin C, an orange also contains other brain boosting antioxidants that fight against disease and mental decline. Oranges have beta carotene which protects cells from damage. They are also high in folate and potassium which protect the body from depression, osteoporosis, and memory deterioration.
What Fruit Is Good for Concentration?
In an easily distracted world it is often difficult to stay on task. Salmon along with other fatty fish aid the mind in focus and concentration. Eating foods that support optimal brain function can improve the brain's processing speed as well as memory retention. Children’s brains are absorbing everything around them including the food they take in. Proper brain nutrition is essential especially during adolescence while children are learning in school. These are some foods that increase concentration while studying:
- Eggs - free range pastured eggs are the best. The chickens are experiencing a varied diet. Most chickens are fed grain or feed. Pasture free range chickens get to roam about outside and eat bugs, insects, grasses, and more. This makes free range pastured egg yolks orange in color and more vitamin and nutrient dense.
- Oatmeal - Oatmeal is a well-balanced energy boosting meal. It has both soluble and insoluble fiber and is low on the glycemic index. It is rich in minerals and antioxidants. Oatmeal is also high in protein.
- Beans - Beans are also high in vitamins and minerals. They are high in amino acids, folate, and fiber. These essential nutrients help the body create red blood cells and aid in metabolism and brain processing.
Which Fruit Supports Skin and Hair?
Brain health is not the only benefit of superfood eating. Foods high in Omega-3s like fatty fish, olive oil, and avocado are very supportive to the skin and body. Foods that contain collagen like bone broth are very beneficial for the skin and hair. Healthy looking skin and hair comes from proper nutrition and hydration. Water is essential in making sure the skin is not dried out.
Which Fruit Improves Brain Function?
There are many fruits that improve brain function like oranges and blueberries.. Their high levels of vitamin C make them a power food when dealing with memory issues, dementia, or Alzheimer’s. Other foods like bell peppers, kiwi, guava, and strawberries are just as beneficial. The benefits of apples also include vitamin C for increased memory. They all help prevent damage to cells within the mind as well as improve brain functioning. Eating foods that improve brain function can prevent the brain from deteriorating before it is really meant to.
Supplements You Can Take
If you question whether you are getting all the necessary nutrients from food, consider supplementation. Spermidine aids the body in inflammation reduction, detoxification, as well as weight loss. It is also used to boost the immune system and create defenses against degenerative diseases and memory deficits.