We’ve all done it: forgot what day of the week our doctor appointment was or the name of the new colleague you met yesterday. Most people attribute this forgetfulness to aging. However, this doesn’t have to be the case. In today’s article, we will go over supplements for memory loss that can help combat cognitive decline as we get older, top-rated memory supplements, and best memory supplements for elderly .
What Is the Best Memory Supplement for Seniors?
Are there any memory supplements that actually work? Navigating through the maze that is the supplement market can be difficult. That’s why it’s important to know what you’re looking for when searching for the best supplements to aid memory. Perhaps the most important thing, and something we will continue to emphasize throughout this article, is research.
When looking for memory supplements for the aging brain, it’s important to do your research. This means researching the brand you’re buying from and the product itself. Traditionally, supplements made from natural ingredients provide the best results while also limiting potential side effects by reducing the number of harmful chemicals.
What Memory Supplements Actually Work?
What is the best memory supplement? Unfortunately, memory supplements - and supplements in general - are very loosely regulated. While claiming a certain supplement can treat or prevent diseases without data is illegal, it’s hardly ever pursued. On top of that, supplement companies can legally claim their product will improve or boost memory without any data to back it up.
The harsh reality: the research ‘supporting’ these brain supplements rarely actually supports them at all. Experts believe this lapse in conclusive research is due to certain chemicals and ingredients found in these memory-boosting supplements. This is why experts recommend seeking out products that contain B Vitamins, fish oils, and other natural ingredients instead of synthetic ingredients and chemicals.
Which Supplements Help Sharpen Memory in Seniors?
The older we get, the easier it is to forget a date or a name. This is why it’s important to focus on brain health. The earlier you emphasize brain health, the less likely you are to develop age-related diseases like Alzheimer’s Disease. While supplements and vitamins for brain fog can help, implementing healthy lifestyle choices is step number one. Here are some of the things you can do to boost your memory as you get older:
- Brain workouts - Yes, you can exercise your brain. Learning a new skill, a new language, or a new instrument, for example, can help keep the brain sharp as you age.
- Remain social - Humans are social by nature. Remaining social as you age can help you ward off the negative side-effects of aging.
- Exercise - Working out your brain is important, but so is working out the rest of your body. Physical activity like walking or yoga can help slow cognitive decline.
- Vitamins - Certain brain vitamins and compounds such as spermidine help induce bodily functions that boost longevity and overall health.
What Is the Best Supplement for Memory and Focus?
Implementing healthy lifestyle changes can help maximize supplements. You shouldn’t expect supplements to carry the load in place of a healthy lifestyle. While there are some promising supplements for memory on the market, they work best when paired with the healthy lifestyle choices listed above. What are some of these promising memory supplements?
- Ginkgo Biloba - Popular in Germany, this supplement improves blood flow in small vessels, reducing the risk of dementia.
- Vitamin E - While vitamin E may not reduce the risk of Alzheimer’s, it can slow down the progression of the disease.
- Huperzine A - This supplement can also slow the development of Alzheimer’s.
- Ginseng - Ginseng can reduce fatigue and help improve the overall quality of life.
- Spermidine - Spermidine helps induce a bodily function known as autophagy. This is the body’s process of replacing older, damaged cells, with newer healthier cells.
It’s important to note that research for many of these supplements is still in its infancy. Further research is required before we can make any conclusions or definitive claims.
What Is the Most Effective Nootropic for Seniors?
A nootropic is a ‘smart drug’ - improves cognitive function such as memory, creativity or motivation - that can be either natural or synthetic. Since nootropics are not strictly regulated, it’s important to do your research. The following are common ingredients used in nootropics:
- Bacopa Monnieri
- Rhodiola Rosea
- Vitamin B12
What Is the Best Vitamin for the Brain?
While more research is needed, experts believe vitamins and fatty acids are among the most effective compounds at slowing memory loss. While vitamin supplements can be found almost anywhere, getting the vitamins you need through your diet is the recommended method. What are some of the recommended vitamins?
- Vitamin B12 - Vitamin B12 can be found in fish, poultry, and fortified breakfast cereals
- Vitamin E - Vitamin E is often found in nuts, seeds, and vegetable oils
- Docosahexaenoic acid - Found in fish such as salmon and mackerel
What Vitamins Help with Focus and Concentration?
It’s not only remembering things that gets harder as we age. Focusing can also be a tall task. Certain vitamins can help improve brain function and slow down the cognitive decline responsible for this lack of focus. What vitamins should you be looking to add to your daily routine in order to improve your concentration?
- Zinc - Found in beef, spinach, pumpkin seeds, and shrimp
- Iron - Found in red meat, dark chocolate, and leafy greens
- Vitamin C - Found in peppers, oranges, and kale
- Vitamin B - Found in tuna, bananas, spinach, and salmon
- Magnesium - Found in dark leafy greens, seeds, nuts, and beans
While experts recommend getting these vitamins through your diet, it can be difficult. Supplements can help.
Supplements May Help
Remember spermidine? The compound we mentioned earlier in the article? This compound can help induce autophagy, which has been linked to improved longevity, cognitive health and overall health in general. Unfortunately, it can be difficult to get your recommended daily dose of spermidine through your diet. Our spermidine supplements at spermidineLIFE® can help maximize healthy lifestyle choices and reduce your risk of age-related brain illnesses.