The older we get the more and more important it is to take proper care of our skin. The main reason why it’s important to start a skin care routine now is that it’s much easier to prevent skin damage than it is to reverse it. In this article, we will go over the benefits of a skin care routine, the best skin care products, and skin care tips for dry and oily skin.
What are the Benefits of A Skin Care Routine?
Believe it or not, it’s scientifically proven that the better you look, the better you feel. It may seem a little self-absorbed, but we want to be sure that we give off the best first impression possible as social creatures. Healthy, good-looking skin - especially as you get older - is, therefore, incredibly important. Here are some of the other benefits of a skin care routine:
- It will help your skin stay in good condition - Your body is actively shedding skin cells throughout the day. A healthy skin care routine will help keep your skin glowing and in good condition, even when it’s losing cells
- You will look younger - Wrinkles and loose-skin are some of the most dreaded side-effects of aging. The older we get, the more important it becomes to take proper care of our skin. A healthy skin care routine will help you remove dead skin cells so your body can replace them with more youthful cells
- It’s easier to prevent than it is to correct - This is perhaps the biggest reason why you should start a skin care routine early. While it is possible to reverse some of the side-effects of aging, it’s much easier to simply prevent them altogether
Keep in mind, a healthy skin care routine can be quite difficult. Unfortunately, it’s not as simple as applying a face mask or a cream once and being done with it. To fully see the benefits, you have to be in it for the long haul.
What is the Best Natural Skin Care Routine?
Again, the most important part of any natural skin care routine is persistence. Thankfully applying skin care doesn’t take too much effort and you may even be able to save some money. It’s possible to make face masks using ingredients you may already have in your pantry or refrigerator. Before starting a routine, it’s important to know the three most important parts of any successful routine:
By practicing all three of these at least twice per day - once in the morning and once at night - you put your skin in a position to look beautiful and feel smooth and soft. It won’t even take that long for you to begin noticing a change! Just remember, it’s all about persistence and consistency.
How to Choose Skin Care Products
Whenever you begin to search for products, it’s important to understand your skin type. There are several different skin types, each requiring its own products and skin care methods. If, for example, you employ a routine for oily skin when you have dry skin, you may not notice results and you may even damage your skin. Here are some of the different types of skins:
- Oily skin - A porous, humid, and bright appearance
- Dry skin - Typically caused by external factors such as the weather, low air humidity, and immersion in hot water
- Combination skin - A combination of both dry and oily skin, which can make finding products difficult
- Sensitive skin - Skin that is more prone to react to stimuli to which normal skin has no reaction
- Normal skin - Skin that is neither too dry nor too oily
If you are confused by your skin type, ask your dermatologist. They will even offer advice as to which type of product you should seek.
What Skin Care Routine is Best for Oily Skin?
You will notice that there are great similarities between routines for oily skin and routines for dry skin. Oily skin care routines will place a further emphasis on cleansing and moisturizing. Here are some recommended tips for skin care for oily skin:
- Cleanse in the morning and at night - Since your skin tends to be oily, it can tolerate more cleansing. It’s important to cleanse in the morning as well as at night because your skin sheds cells and produces oils while you are sleeping
- Use a toner - Experts recommend an exfoliating toner that contains either salicylic acid, glycolic acid, and lactic acid
- Treat your skin - Treat the specifics of your skin. For example, if you suffer from acne, you should be using benzoyl peroxide or sulfur in the daytime to help curb oil production and prevent breakouts
- Moisturize in the morning and at night - This is a crucial step if you have oily skin. There is a misconception that you don’t need to moisturize if you have oily skin but all skin types need moisturizer.
What Skin Care Routine is Best for Dry Skin?
To combat dry, tight skin, you'll want to build a routine that's full of nourishing, moisture-rich skin care products. You'll also want to focus on ingredients that fortify your skin's lipid barrier, which helps keep moisture in and acne-causing bacteria out. Here are some tips for skin care for dry skin:
- Hydrating cleanser - A gentle cleanser will make your skin clean and hydrated
- Hydrating toner - Toner will work with cleanser to hydrate and rebalance your skin
- Chemical exfoliant - Exfoliant removes dead skin cells for dry skin
- Hydrating serum - Serums use a wide range of ingredients and help draw water to the skin
- Eye cream
- Facial oil
Spermidine Can Help
Another way to ensure your skin is as healthy as possible is through a process known as autophagy. During autophagy, our body recycles older, damaged cell components with healthier new ones. Much like wheat germ, spermidine is a compound that can help keep our bodies healthy, both inside and out, by inducing the autophagy process.
Spermidine is found in many of the foods that we eat. And in fact, our spermidineLIFE® supplements are extracted from wheat germ. However, we often don’t get what we need from diet alone, especially as we age and our body needs more nutrients. This is where supplements can step in to help support a healthy body.