What are the Benefits of Eating Aloe Vera?
- Katherine Li
spermidineLIFE® Dietary Supplement
Aloe vera has numerous health benefits. You may know it as a treatment for sunburn, but it’s much more than that. Today, we will go over the uses of aloe vera, its benefits, and the best ways to consume it.
Can You Eat Aloe Vera?
Many people are surprised to learn that you can actually eat aloe vera. In fact, many are surprised to learn that there are three different parts of aloe vera leaves, each part being edible and each part containing its own benefits. The three parts of the aloe vera leaf are the skin, the gel, and the latex.
The gel is the part that we are most familiar with. It’s often applied directly to the skin, but it can also be used as ingredients in smoothies and salsas. The latex contains powerful laxative properties, including aloin, and should be consumed in moderation. The skin is generally safe to eat and is often used as an ingredient in salsa or hummus.
How to Make Aloe Vera Juice
You can experience the benefits of aloe vera through a delicious tasting aloe vera juice. The best part is it only contains two ingredients: aloe vera and water. Here is all you need to do to make and enjoy this beverage:
- Get your aloe vera leaf - You can find these at most grocery stores.
- Peel the leaf - You want to get to the gel center, so cut away all of the skin. Remove the yellow latex from the gel, as it can act as a powerful laxative.
- Rinse the gel - Aloe vera can be bitter. Rinsing the gel before consuming it can remove some of this bitterness and wash away the residual latex.
- Blend with water - Dilute the aloe gel with water by putting both in a blender. You can blend until it’s smooth, or you can leave chewy bits.
You can add other ingredients such as pineapple or pomegranate juice to add flavor.
Benefits of Eating Aloe Vera on an Empty Stomach
To maximize the benefits of aloe vera, some recommend consuming it on an empty stomach. The idea is since your stomach is empty, it will enhance the digestion of the first thing you consume. Having that be something as healthy as aloe vera can have major benefits. Some of those benefits include:
- Digestion - Aloe vera has enzymes that can help improve the digestive process.
- Hydration - Aloe vera is rich in terms of water content. Consuming it on an empty stomach can give your body the hydrating boost it needs.
- Nutrition - Your body needs certain minerals and vitamins throughout the day. Aloe vera is high in calcium, magnesium, folic acid, and vitamins C, A, and E.
- Skin and hair health - Aloe vera contains antioxidants that help fight off free radicals that can damage the skin.
Consuming aloe vera on an empty stomach can help maximize these benefits.
What Happens to Your Body when You Eat Aloe Vera?
When purchasing an aloe vera drink, it’s important to know what you’re buying. Decolorized whole leaf aloe vera is considered safe and should have minimal side effects. Non-decolorized unpurified aloe vera juice, however, can have unpleasant side effects, including diarrhea and cramping.
Aloe Vera Benefits
We briefly went over some of the benefits of aloe vera that you can maximize by consuming on an empty stomach. However, there are additional benefits of aloe vera. Some of those benefits include:
- Liver function - Your liver is at its best when it is hydrated, and aloe vera juice is very hydrating.
- Constipation - As we previously mentioned, aloe vera can act as a strong laxative.
- Clear skin - There are many benefits of aloe vera on the skin due to the antioxidants present in aloe vera.
- Heartburn relief - Aloe vera can control the secretion of acid in the stomach.
Benefits of Aloe Vera Juice for Hair
Recent research has tried to determine whether or not aloe vera can help with hair growth. While more research is needed, researchers believe that there are some benefits of using aloe vera for hair. This is mainly since a healthy scalp leads to healthy hair growth and maintenance.
A healthy scalp requires vitamins, essential amino acids, minerals like copper and zinc, and fatty acids. You can find all of these contents in aloe vera.
Benefits of Aloe Vera Juice for Weight Loss
Many people consume aloe vera juice for weight loss. One of the reasons aloe vera juice can help with weight loss is that it can help boost metabolism. By boosting your metabolism, you can increase the number of calories you burn throughout the day, even when you’re sitting around doing nothing.
One study found that administering aloe vera gel to rats reduced body fat accumulation over a 90-day period. Some researchers also believe it can help improve blood sugar control which can help increase weight loss. By improving your blood sugar levels, you can prevent spikes and crashes which limits hunger and cravings.
Side Effects of Aloe Vera Juice
We recommend doing your own research and due diligence when using and consuming aloe vera. You should also consult with your doctor before using aloe vera, as some may have an allergic reaction. Here are some of the other risks of aloe vera:
- Topical aloe vera can cause skin irritation
- Aloe vera can act as a strong laxative
- Aloe gel with aloin can irritate the gastrointestinal tract
- Applying aloe vera to a deep cut or severe burns can be harmful
- Consult with your doctor or avoid taking aloe vera supplements if taking drugs regularly
Supplements Can Help
Pairing aloe vera with a healthy regiment of supplements can keep your body healthy and improve longevity. Supplements such as spermidine help induce bodily functions like autophagy, which can reverse aging.